Thursday, July 30, 2009

GreenDay makes Semra a happy woman


Last night I got two free tickets to check out GreenDay at the Verizon Center in DC from the Verizon Wireless event I organized over the weekend for DC101. Needless to say, I had an AWESOME dinner & Sangria with my girl and then we rolled on over across the street to check out a band that I've been listening to since they first came on the scene in 1995 (7th Grade for me....God I'm old). Anyways, I wasn't sure after all these years how the crowd would be or even how the show would be in general. I have to say that I was completely surprised in a GOOD way that I was NOT the oldest person at the concert! There's apparently groups of parents that were fans, not there with their kids. I also noticed that all of these teenager fans were still dressed in the grungy style clothes that my generation did back in the 90's! I guess not much has changed in that department....for the new generation of high schoolers (unless you're into Kanye West and his whole style).....I'm getting off track.


Best parts about this concert:

-awesome seats away from the Mosh pits and crowd surfers (I'm too old for that mess now)

-I knew almost every song that they played (that's how many hits they have had to this day)

-their stage set was ridiculous (in an awesome way, wish I could show you, but I 4got my cam) :-(

-they totally get the crowd involved with their entire show; they pulled this guy on stage that played guitar along with them for 2-3 of their songs, (he was actually really F-ing good). They let this other guy get on stage and sing one of their first hits EVER "Paradise." They shoot out T-shirts with those T-shirt guns you see at sporting events into the audience and everyone went CRAZY for them.

-I did not sit down once for the entire 2 1/2 hour set when they were on stage

- they didn't have an opening band, so it was straight from getting to the arena, to them coming out on stage within 10 minutes (awesome timing on my part since we didn't enter into the place until 45 minutes after the doors were opening for folks to roll on in).


All in all, they're hands-down AWESOME in concert if you haven't checked out a really good band, then you should really go to one of their shows when they come your way....seriously. I don't even own ANY of their albums, but I knew all of their songs since they have like 30 radio hits in their entire music career!




No comments: