Sunday, August 3, 2008

It's a sister SING OFF in the music industry

I know that everyone has their own feelings about this but I have to admit, the music industry is extremely upsetting right now. It could be because there isn't enough independent labels out there who are getting the recognition that they deserve since corporate is in charge of everything that we see and hear. But it could also be due to the continuous amount of CRAP that is produced by wanna-be stars no matter what music genre you listen to is. I guess the only thing that can be said about this is an over used cliche, which is: "it's not about what you know, but about WHO you know"

Which brings me to my next topic, the music industry and the family ties to what we see and hear the most of. We could go with the sister duo's [ex: Jessica Simpson / Ashley Simpson vs. Beyonce / Solange]. Their fathers are the ones who get their daughters to the top as their own personal business strategy. They think 'why not use their daughters talent with singing to throw up on every magazine / tv screen / late night talk show/ radio station and book'.....[don't worry, those books are on the way. It's just like reading a blog :-)]; except they're not funny and they actually think that the rest of us give a sh** about their personal lives. It's kind of unfortunate, but if you become a celebrity, just know that you WILL BE LABELED and most folks DON'T care (unless your favorite network is E, then it might actually mean something to you...womp womp). That's what this society does best, and it is an easy way for folks to put others into a category. But again, back to the specific people that I picked to discuss, lets talk about how the older sister has the sex appeal and looks and the younger sister looks like it's a distorted version of the first sister. BUT with the Simpson's, Ashley turned out to have much catchier songs and hits than her older sister. Since Solange is JUST coming out with an album, it's too soon for me to judge this comparison so I won't...YET. But I would like to say that her new single: "I Decided" is extremely catchy and might open up that light on her and take away her sisters spot light for a minute (which I would NOT mind since this industry is over-saturated with Beyonce). I'll let YOU be the judge though.


Moral: Agree to disagree

3 comments:

DeeDee Lee said...

This actually is not her first album, but since she Beyonce's little sister, you'd never know about it.

I concur wholeheartedly that music SUX right now!!!! I just surf the web for my lastest and not MTV,BET or any of that! These "music stations" radio and TV are pretty much dead to me. I could come up with a song about different hair weave styles and it would be # 1 for about 7 weeks in a row.!

I'm hoping for a "musical revolution" as Esthero has so nicely put it! A few lines from her song go "I'm so sick and tired of the shit on the radio, and MTV the always play the same video, not matter where I go I see Ashaniti in a video, I want something more!"

I hope the industry turns around soon and quit putting out this one hit wonder trash!

Oh and yes Solange's song is quite catchy!

shell said...

Dont forget about the Lohans, they have all the ingredients to a hollywood disaster family: famous older sister out of control, younger sister forced into a hopeless singing career, and a mother that puts her family on reality TV for her own financial advantage. Other family ties: the Carters, the Hogans, the Spears... all horrible examples of hollywood cat crap.

Unknown said...

All I have to say is thank God for XM radio. I can avoid all that crap as I please. My radio never leaves chan 65 (The Rhyme) or chan 101 (The Joint). Between real hip-hop and reggae, I'm all set.