Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why do I go to plays?


I'm a BIG supporter of the "arts" and I love to switch things up and throw in a good play here and there when I feel like sitting there in an audience that normally I would never be around, (mainly because they're a bunch of HUGE dorks that are socially awkward and dress in MC Hammer style pants or high waters ). But last night, being the good daughter that I am, I went with my mom to see some new play downtown at the Woolly Mammoth Theatre (near the Verizon Center). The play was called, "Maria Stuart," it's about a family who deals with some F-d up situations including:


- incest

- schizophrenia

- a hereditary curse

- an aunt with two claws for hands (she tried to commit suicide on train tracks and lost her hands)

- a grandmother that takes on a form of the Exorcist style body and manorisms


F***ing great, just what I wanted to do after work on a Monday night when I'm already out of it and tired as hell. Surprisingly I didn't have any jacked up dreams from it. But...I did make some observations about the whole plot of the play. It basically felt like a group of super strange folks came together, were drunk or high (you pick) and all told their weirdest stories to eachother and then somehow tried to make them all connect into one thing (that "thing" became the play). The only cool thing about this play was the stage set, which was two kitchens that were combined into one, but the cabinate doors came up like a house of cards collapsing into the middle but they were all in mid-air as they looked like they were caving in. Very Alice and Wonderland-ish of the set designers.


So that's all. I just want to know why I never learn from the previous plays...they started off good and then just LOOSE me and the rest of the audience as their plot continues.


Moral: not all art is great, stick to the ones you actually like the most


1 comment:

Unknown said...

All we need is MUSIC!