Friday, June 13, 2008

I love me some SARCASM...and apparently America does too

So I was just thinking of one word that would discribe a lot about me and the only thing that stood out the most to me was SARCASM. Now apparently me and America share the same characteristic because sarcasm is used in literally everything, from "serious" journalism, to every comedy sitcom ever developed for our fine eyes to see. Did you know that there's actually an "anatomy of sarcasm" in humans? (according to this study I just read by the APA). I guess my next question is how come our culture seems to be the only one using it in every other sentence? Is it because all we got going for us that we share in common is sarcasm? (since there's so many cultures merged into one place).

So I asked an expert, one of the most sarcastic friends I've ever met in my life about this extremely interesting concept, their response was, "this is going to be a great blog" Of course this was said sarcastically so I had to punch them square in the face for the sake of my BLOG WORLD. So I pondered some more on this topic and realized that this is a learned behavior, probably by my older jerk-of-a-brother (well former jerk of a brother) planted this seed of sarcasm in me at a very young age because I remember talking back to my mom during dinner "testing my sarcasm" because he told me to. That didn't end so well, but it also opened the FLOOD GATES of my sarcastic remarks. Now I catch myself saying them to all levels of excutives at work and nothing bad has happened yet, so.......it must just mean that they share this same language of sarcasm. What a great thing too because my ass could have been fired SUCH a long time ago.

Moral: You can get by in life until you die making sarcastic remarks and get away with it and probably become one of the funniest friends of your group,...but this only works in America.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would caution people to just be themselves when being sarcastic, though. Nothing worse than a person who's is sarcastically "ON" all the time because they find themselves to be funny. Seriously, nothing lamer than that.

shell said...

my favorite sarcastic movie of all time, Tommy boy..
"Your late Tommy."
"I tried calling."
"Oh yeah? What number did you call?"
"4037456niner32..."
"Did I just hear a "niner" in there? Were you calling from a walkie talkie?"

PYT's Random Little Things said...

You're sarcastic? I never noticed...


Guess that means we're made the same which is a good thing b/c otherwise we wouldn't be friends. :)



Love ya!